The Coxwell subway station is used as a switchover point for the subway operators coming on and off their shifts on the Bloor-Danforth line (east-west), just as the Eglinton station is used as a switchover on the Yonge-University Spadina line (north-south). There are sometimes slight delays at this station because of the switch changes.
Just minutes away from the station is the lovely Monarch Park and The Toronto East General Hospital which was opened for patient care in 1929. The land from which the hospital was built on was donated by Billy McKay Jr., who was a local pig farmer in Toronto (borough of East York) from 1862-1943. He was never married so with his wealth, he donated a large portion of his land (Coxwell and Mortimer Avenues) to the Town of East York. This land was used for a Public School, a municipal building and the Toronto East General Hospital.
Many war veterans were treated at the Toronto East York General Hospital, so many War Vets made East York their home after the war. Today on the donated land, there is a Memorial Park and East York’s War Memorial cenotaph which is treasured by local residents.