Dec 20, 2010

Jane Subway Station


Jane Subway Station
Jane Subway Station is on the Bloor-Danforth line of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).  It was opened to the public on May 1968 and serves about 16,000 people a day.  Jane Subway is another interchange station included in the proposal for the LRT project.  This is an excellent position to relieve a lot of congestion because of the major arteries that it passes through such as Bloor, Eglinton, Weston, Lawrence, Sheppard, Finch and Steeles.

The actual name of the street was named after Jane Barr, by her husband, who was a real estate developer who immigrated from Scotland in 1907.  The song JANE, made popular by the Bare Naked Ladies was really about intersection of Jane and St. Clair.  

Barenaked Ladies - with clothes on..
The group Barenaked Ladies was formed in 1988 in Scarborough.  Other famous songs they did was If I had a 1,000,000 and Brian Wilson.  They are known mostly for their comedic style.  Steve Page who started the band left in 2009.

Lyrics : Jane
The girl works at the store sweet Jane St. Clair
Was dazzled by her smile while I shopped there
it wasn't long before I lived with her
I sang her songs while she dyed her hair

Jane, divided, but I can't decide what side I'm on
Jane decided only cowards stay, while traitors run
Jane, Jane

I'd bring her gold and frankincense and myrrh
She thought that I was making fun of her
She made me feel I was fourteen again
That's why she thinks it's cooler if we'd just stay friends
Jane doesn't think a man could ever be faithful
Jane isn't giving me a chance to be shameful
Jane, Jane

I wrote a letter, she should have got it yesterday
That life could be better by being together
is what I cannot explain to Jane

The girl works at the store, sweet Jane St. Clair
Was dazzled by her smile while I shoplift there
No promises as vague as Heaven
No Juliana next to my Evan

Jane, desired by the people at the school and work
Jane is tired, 'cause every man becomes a lovesick jerk
Jane, Jane