|Runnymede Subway - Chapters (former Theatre)|
Runnymede subway station is located on the Yonge / University / Spadina line of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). It was opened in February 1968 and serves about 16,000 people a day.
Nearby the station is the Runnymede Theatre, which ceased to operate as a movie theatre in 1999, to become a Chapters Bookstore.
Historically, it was once a playhouse located in the Bloor West village, known popularly as the “Runny”. It was built in 1927 by a company called Capitol (later known as Famous Players).
Gradually, after vaudeville died out, it was replaced with plays and live entertainment and eventually became a movie theatre in the late 1930’s.
There is a rumour that the theater was haunted by the ghost of a little girl who apparently died from a falling sandbag, but there is no historical evidence to back this up.