After digging some one hundred feet into the hill the workers found a large collection of human bones. The ossuary was eventually found to be about fifty feet long, seven feet wide, and one foot deep. An estimated 472 individuals are believed to have been buried there. The burial dates to about 1250 CE.
The provincial government expropriated the site, exchanging it for land elsewhere in the area. It was proclaimed a cemetery and has since been administered by the city. At the top of the mound is a memorial with a historical plaque on one side and a prayer written by an Iroquois leader on the other. While designated a cemetery, there have been concerns that the area is often used as a park. Tobogganing is an especially popular activity on the steep hill.