Built by the French in 1750-51, it was demolished by the French in a sad twist of irony. Nine years later, a small-sized obelisk was placed to mark the spot of the Fort. There was an excavation performed in 1979 -1980 by the Historical Society and again in 1982 by the Youth Committee which comprised of over 50 youths. The excavating project was over seen by professional archeologists and funded by the City of Toronto and the Toronto Board of Education.
The sky was so temperamental and unpredictable, within an hour it went from mild sun, to wild snow and wind. Made for interesting photos though.
Next to the Obelisk of Fort Rouille is a Shrine Monument, known as the 'Peace Memorial' .